The Series IIA is considered by many the most hardy Series model constructed. It is also the type of classic Land Rover that features strongly in the general public’s perception of the Land Rover, from its many appearances in popular films and television documentaries set in Africa throughout the 1960s, such as Born Free. Certainly it was whilst the Series IIA was in production that sales of utility Land Rovers reached their peak, in 1969-70, when sales of over 60,000 Land Rovers a year were recorded (for comparison, the sales of the Defender in recent years have been around the 25,000 level since the 1990s). As well as record sales, the Land Rover dominated many world markets- in Australia in the 1960s Land Rover held 90% of the 4×4 market. This figure was repeated in many countries in Africa and the Middle East.
It was produced between 1961 and 1971. There were some minor cosmetic changes from the II, and the 2.25-litre Diesel engine was introduced. Also the 2.6-litre straight-6 petrol engine was introduced for use in the long wheelbase models in 1967.
To the eye the SII and the SIIA are very difficult to distinguish. The configurations available from the factory ranged from short wheelbase soft top to the top of the line five-door Station Wagon. The Rover V8 3.5-litre engine was first tested in 1965 in a short wheel base SIIA but not introduced to a Land Rover until the first-generation three-door Range Rovers in 1970 and then later to the Series vehicles in the last of the SIII 109s in 1979. From February 1969 (home market) the headlamps moved into the wings on all models, and the sill panels were redesigned to be shallower a few months afterwards.
The series IIa 109 was also the first bonneted Land-Rover to get the 2.6 straight six engine, and to be upgraded to «One Ton» Specification.
Originally based on the US Army Jeep the Land Rover was a single model offering, which from 1948 until 1951 used an 80 in (2032 mm) wheelbase and a 1.6-litre petrol engine. This was a basic vehicle, tops for the doors and a roof (canvas or metal) were optional extras. In 1950, the lights moved from a position behind the grille to protruding through the grille.
From the beginning it was realised that some buyers would want a Land Rover’s abilities without the spartan interiors. In 1949 Land Rover launched a second body option called the «Station Wagon», fitted with a body built by Tickford, a coachbuilder known for their work with Rolls-Royce and Lagonda. The bodywork was wooden-framed and had seating for seven people. Tickfords were well equipped in comparison with the standard Land Rover, having leather seats, a heater, a one-piece laminated windscreen, a tin-plate spare wheel cover, some interior trim and other options. The wooden construction made them expensive to build and tax laws made this worse — unlike the original Land Rover, the Tickford was taxed as a private car, which attracted high levels of Purchase Tax. As a result, less than 700 Tickfords were sold, and all but 50 were exported. Today these early Station Wagons are highly sought after. There are less than 10 still known to exist, mainly in museums, and they can change hands for as much as £15,000.
1954 saw a big change: the 80 in (2032 mm) was replaced by an 86 in (2184 mm), and a 107 in (2718 mm) «Pick Up» version was introduced. The extra wheelbase was added behind the cab area to provide additional load space.
1956 saw the introduction of the first five-door model, on the 107 in chassis known as the «Station Wagon» with seating for up to ten people. The 86 in model was a three-door seven-seater. The new Station Wagons were very different to the previous Tickford model, being built with simple metal panels and bolt-together construction instead of the complex wooden structure of the older Station Wagon. They were intended to be used both as commercial vehicles as people-carriers for transporting workmen to remote locations, as well as by private users. Like the Tickford version, they came with basic interior trim and equipment such as roof vents and interior lights.
The Station Wagons saw the first expansion of the Land Rover range. Station Wagons were fitted with a «Safari Roof» which consisted of a second roof skin fitted on top of the vehicle. This kept the interior cool in hot weather and reduced condensation in cold weather. Vents fitted in the roof allowed added ventilation to the interior. While they were based on the same chassis and drivetrains as the standard vehicles, Station Wagons carried different chassis numbers, special badging, and were advertised in separate brochures. Unlike the original Station Wagon, the new in-house versions were highly popular.
Wheelbases were extended by 2 in to 88 in (2235 mm) and 109 in (2769 mm) to accommodate the new diesel engine, to be a option the following year. This change was made to all models with the exception of the 107 Station Wagon, which would never be fitted with a diesel engine, and would eventually be the last series I in production.
This engine was slightly longer than the original chassis allowed, so the wheelbase was increased from 86 to 88 in (2235 mm) for the short-wheelbase models, and from 107 to 109 in on the long-wheelbases. The extra two inches were added in front of the bulkhead to accommodate the new diesel engine. These dimensions were to be used on all Land Rovers for the next 25 years.
Purchase from the car dealer
Performance & Division
Tier 1 — Common (+50)
1/4 Mile: missing data
0-100 mph (0-161 km/h): missing data
60-0 mph (97-0 km/h): missing data
100-0 mph (161-0 km/h): missing data
120 mph (193 km/h): missing data
Performance & Championship
60-0 mph (97-0 km/h): 231.7 ft (70.6 m)
Performance & Car Type
60-0 mph (97-0 km/h): 236.2 ft (72 m)
Forzathon Shop:Series 1 (Winter) for 300 FPSeries 6 (Winter) for 500 FPSeries 12 (Winter) for 650 FP
Festival Playlist:Series 9 (Winter) — 80% season completionSeries 22 (Winter) — «Offroad Rampage» championship
Performance & Car Type
Value: 270,000 CR
60-0 mph (97-0 km/h): 471.4 ft (143.7 m)
The successor to the successful Series I was the Series II, which saw a production run from 1958 to 1961. It came in 88 in (2235 mm) and 109 in (2769 mm) wheelbases. This was the first Land Rover to adopt a relatively modern shape, and used the well-known 2.25-litre petrol engine, although early short wheelbase (SWB) models retained the 2.0-litre petrol engine from the Series I for the first 1500 or so vehicles. This larger petrol engine produced 72 hp and was closely related to the 2.0-litre diesel unit still in use. This engine became the standard Land Rover unit until the mid-1980s when diesel engines became more popular.
Land Rovers were deployed to the Korean War and the Suez Crisis, and became standard light military vehicles throughout the Commonwealth.
The Army’s Land Rover fleet was initially comprised standard-specification vehicles. However, as the 1960s progressed, more and more specialised versions were developed. As well as the standard ‘GS’ (General Service) vehicles, a common variant was the ‘FFR’ (Fitted For Radio’, which had 24-volt electrics and a large engine-powered generator to power on-board radios. There were also Ambulances on the 109-inch Series II chassis. A well-known version was the LRDPV (Long-Range Desert Patrol Vehicle), commonly called the ‘Pink Panther’, on account of their distinctive light pink sand camoflague. These 109-inch Series IIs were stripped of doors and windscreens and fitted with grenade launchers, a machine gun mounting ring and long-range fuel tanks and water tanks. They were used by the SAS for desert patrol and special operations.
By the late 1970s the British Army had acquired around 9,000 Series III models, which were mainly a special ‘Heavy Duty’ version of the 109-inch Soft Top. These models had improved suspension components and a different chassis cross-member design. These were produced in 12-volt ‘GS’ models and 24-volt ‘FFR’ versions. There were also 109-inch ambulances built by Marshall Aerospace. There were small numbers of 88-inch GS and FFR models, but in general the Army used the Air-Portable (‘Lightweight’) version of the 88-inch model.
The Royal Navy and Royal Air Force also acquired and maintained smaller Land Rover fleets during the 1960s and 1970s. The RAF used 88-inch models for communications, liaison, personnel transport and airfield tractor duties. The Royal Navy’s fleet was, understandably, small and consisted mainly of GS-spec and Station Wagon versions for personnel and cargo transport.
In the Falklands War of 1982 the Army ordered 200 ‘Commercial Spec’ (i.e- base model) 88-inch Land Rover Series IIIs for rapid deployment to the South Atlantic. However, the Land Rovers were lost when the cargo ship ‘Atlantic Conveyor’ was sunk.
All British military Land Rovers used the 2.25-litre 4-cylinder petrol engine. However, some overseas customers (such as the The Netherlands) specified the 2.25-litre diesel unit instead.
The Land Rover has been used as the basis for several British Army vehicles including the Forward Control Model 101-inch, the «Lightweight», and the FV18067 Ambulance.
1 поколение, 1948
После окончания Второй мировой войны, британская компания Rover оказалась в трудном положении — на ее дорогие легковые автомобили просто не было спроса, а часть производственных площадей компании была разрушена бомбардировками. Чтобы не оказаться банкротом, руководство фирмы решило запустить в производство автомобиль, который был нужен покупателям: максимально простой и практичный, пригодный в том числе для использования в сельском хозяйстве. Так в 1948 году появился серийный внедорожник Land Rover. Автомобиль со съемным брезентовым верхом оснащался 1,6-литровым бензиновым мотором (51 л. с.), четырехступенчатой «механикой» и имел полноприводную трансмиссию. Позднее на машину начали ставить и двухлитровый двигатель. Уже через год начались поставки «Лэнд Роверов» в британскую армию.
Изначально внедорожник Land Rover рассматривался самим производителем как временное решение, чтобы переждать трудные времена. Однако, с первых же лет машина стала пользоваться отличным спросом, соответственно, производственная программа только расширялась, а модельный ряд пополнялся новыми модификациями. Так, в 1949 году появилась версия с закрытым семиместным деревянным кузовом, который изготавался компанией Tickford, но таких машин было сделано совсем немного. В 1950-х годах покупателям начали продавать длиннобазную версию, машины с пятидверным кузовом универсал вместимостью до десяти человек, пикап. А в 1957 году «Лэнд Ровер» стали оснащать двухлитровым дизелем.
Внедорожник Land Rover Series I, 1948–1954
Внедорожник Land Rover Series I, 1954–1957
2 поколение, 1958
В 1958 году дебютировал Land Rover второй серии, который изначально предлагался с короткой и длинной базой. Длиннобазная версия имела 10- и 12-местные варианты, причем более вместительная машина была дешевле из-за того, что облагалась более низкими налогами, как автобус. Внедорожник оснащался прежними двухлитровыми силовыми агрегатами, бензиновым и дизельным, а также новым 2,3-литровым бензиновым мотором мощностью 72 л. с., который до 1980-х годов был основным двигателем для «Лэнд Роверов».
В 1961 году модель была модернизирована и получила новый дизельный мотор объемом 2,3 литра, а в 1967 году на машину начали ставить 2,6-литровую бензиновую рядную «шестерку». В 1969 году изменился дизайн автомобиля — фары головного света «переехали» на крылья.
Внедорожник Land Rover Series II, 1969–1971
The Land Rover was conceived by the Rover Motor Company in 1946 during the aftermath of World War II. Rover’s usual products were luxury cars which were not in demand in the immediate post-war period and raw materials were strictly rationed to those companies building construction or industrial equipment, or products that could be widely exported to earn crucial foreign exchange for the country. Also, Rover’s original factory in Coventry had been bombed during the war, forcing the company to move into a huge «shadow factory» it had built during the war in Solihull near Birmingham to construct aircraft. This factory was now empty but starting car production there from scratch would not be financially viable. Several plans for small, economical cars were drawn up, but all would be too expensive to produce. Maurice Wilks, Rover’s chief designer came up with a plan to produce a light agricultural and utility vehicle, of a similar concept to the Willys Jeep used in the war, but with an emphasis on agricultural use. He was possibly inspired by the Standard Motor Company, who faced similar problems and were producing the highly successful Ferguson TE20 tractor in their shadow factory in Coventry. More likely, he used his own experience of using an army-surplus Jeep on his farm in Anglesey, North Wales.
The prototype Land Rover was developed in 1947 and had a distinctive feature—the steering wheel was mounted in the middle of the vehicle. It hence became known as the «centre steer». It was built on a Jeep chassis and used the engine and gearbox out of a Rover P3 saloon car. The bodywork was hand-made out of surplus aircraft grade aluminium, mainly an aluminium/magnesium alloy called Birmabright, to save on steel, which was closely rationed. Paint was also in short supply, resulting in the first production vehicles making use of Army surplus green paint.
Tests showed this prototype vehicle to be a capable and versatile machine. It was fitted with power take-off (PTO) drives from the front of the engine and from the gearbox to the centre and rear of the vehicle to allow it to drive farm machinery, as a tractor would. It was also tested ploughing and performing other agricultural tasks. However, as the vehicle was readied for production, this emphasis on tractor-like usage decreased. The steering wheel was mounted off to the side as normal, the bodywork was simplified to reduce production time and costs and a larger engine was fitted, together with a specially-designed transfer gearbox to replace the Jeep unit. The result was a vehicle that didn’t use a single Jeep component and was slightly shorter than its American inspiration, but wider, heavier, faster and still retained the PTO drives.
The Land Rover was designed to only be in production for 2-3 years to gain some cash flow and export orders for the Rover Company so it could restart up-market car production. It did, but by this time the Land Rover was outselling its normal car products by a huge amount and so the off-road vehicle has remained in production for nearly 60 years.